Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughts of Japan ....... make me smile

The past couple of weeks have been the closest I have ever felt to being an alien on my own planet. Japan is so different from any place I can imagine. Not only is there a language barrier, both written and spoken, but there is a custom barrier as well. They may be very modern with all the perks (That's not a camera. THIS is a camera.) but it is mixed with what a lot of us westerners would call "old world".

There are no trash cans on the streets. Somehow that works. There is no trash on the streets. That includes festivals and places where there is a lot of street food (such as squid and unagi on a stick!) consumed. Japanese don't walk around eating or drinking. They will eat or drink at the point of purchase and give the trash to the vendor or take it home. Most of them think to bring a plastic bag with them just in case. I chuckle at the horror a proper Japanese matron would feel watching state fair attendees anywhere USA eating a huge turkey leg.

Being clean is a Japanese custom tenet.

1) Anytime you eat out you are given a wet paper cloth in plastic and at a few you will get a warm moist cloth This is for your hands not your face. Me...fail.

2) In a lot bathrooms, in both private hotels and homes, there are slippers to step into so your feet don't touch the floor.

3) I thought my son was being utterly ridiculous about using a different sponge for dishes, pans, and surfaces until I saw the same rules posted at the hostels

I am so impressed with police officers in Japan At one time I saw a police officer talking to an older man who seemed a bit disoriented. Another time, just yesterday, I saw a man asleep on a bench in a train station. A police officer was there moving some packages back closer to the wall. He never disturbed the sleeping man.

Both beer and cigarettes are sold in vending machines. No nanny state here.

Speaking of nanny states, my daughter -in-law and I went to some old castle ruins in Matsusaka one day. In parts of these ruins there are very steep precipes with no guardrails in sight. Definitely no nanny states.

The most WTF moment of my time in Japan came last evening when I came out on the subway to find out where I was supposed to be this morning. An older lady timidly walked up to me and asked me if I knew where I was going. I guess a little confusion showed as I was on a subway change. I showed her the hotel brochure and tried to explain I was first going to Cosmosquare to find out where the shuttle was for the ferry. She was fixated on the hotel and was literally yanking me back to prevent me from boarding. I tried to explain I wasn't going to the hotel at that time because I couldn't check in just yet. It was completely lost on this lady who seemed so timid at first. An official was nearby and I broke free long enough to point to my destination. After his nod I was able to board the subway. But the lady got on board to keep an eye on me. Who needs a nanny state when they have such watchful people like this?

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Vickie. It sounds like some things have not changed in Japan, which is good to know. When I was in Kyoto decades ago, my friends and I would walk from our Ryokan at the Three Sisters' Inn Annex to our classes. A number of us were oftentimes snacking on the way to class, as we walked down the narrow roadways of the neighborhood. No one told us it was impolite to eat in public. Until one day a group of neighbors approached the three sisters and wanted to know if they were renting to a group of American hippies.

    I for one am glad to hear that the Confuscius values of formality, politeness, cleaniness, striving for perfection, and respect are still a part of Japanese culture. These values go along with the internal controls of guilt and shame when one loses face or brings dishonor to oneself or one's family.

    When people have inner control and social sanctions, which we have utterly destroyed in much of our culture, then there is less need for external control by the police, laws, and as you put it the nanny state. Unfortunately, in our society a number of those who rail against the nanny state do so, because they want to live irresponsible lives without any self-discipline or responsibilities to other members of society. (Didn't mean to get off on a political/social rag here).

    Japan is a beautiful country--enjoy. The modern day Chinese will be a different experience when you get there. Take care. Jim Mola

    ReplyDelete
  2. The different sponges might put a damper in my day. Would become too concerned I was using the wrong one...but no trash? People picking up after themselves? Divine. Your blogs are almost like being there. I look forward to more and more and more

    ReplyDelete