Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Surviving the longest shortest day of my life.......makes me smile

October 4, 2011, started at midnight in NYC at the meet and greet party after the concert with Il Volo at the Beacon Theater in the upper west side.

I left around 12 30 a.m. and had no idea how the subways ran after midnight.  I only had to go 70 blocks but with delayed subways, missed stops, a very interesting incident on one subway involving a guy who was upset over an unpaid debt and another who denied, denied, denied, it took all of two hours.   Had I known what was ahead, I would have sucked it up and taken a taxi at around $15.00.

I got to my hostess:s apartment in the West Village around 2 45 am and had to wake her because she had engaged her security lock and my key wouldn:t work.  I should say I woke her AND her neighbor as well.   I decided to just get all my things packed up and walk the four blocks to the subway stop that had an elevator as I have two suitcases, a backpack and a purse and stairs are decidedly unfriendly places at this point.  I might pay an outrageous unnamed sum to meet 3 teen singers from Italy but I refuse to pay $50.00 for a cab ride to the airport when a $2.25 subway fare would do.   I have my priorities.

After doing my research the day before on what subway to take to JFK I found that the E train was not running.  I came close to having a breakdown when the attendant started talking about changes and stairs.  After viewing my distress, he told me the A train would take me out there but it would take over an hour.   I only had to be there at 6 am and it was 3 am so I had plenty of time, right?  I got there at 5 am and the airtram was not working.   I had to ride the bus.  At least it was free.  Airtram would have cost me $5.00.  I think I know now why New Yorkers are always in a hurry.  Something along the way probably quit working.

Check in went smoothly which was a good thing with my agitated sleep deprivation.   When I got to my gate, I kept watching for more people to show up for the flight.  Apparently, the plane going  to Tokyo was only at 20-25% capacity.  I was able to stretch out in the middle section and get some rest.

Around what was 4 pm New York time, we crossed the International Date line.  October 4, 2011, was history for me.  The longest shortest day of my life.   But wait!!!  I have 8 more hours!!!  Not to worry.   The universe is saving them for me for when I return in November.   That:s when I get Marycharles, Janice, Jenny, Sandy, Pam, Nancy and Ruth together to party.   I hope they remember to bring the captain with them.  What captain?  Why Captain Morgan!!  Who else??

1 comment:

  1. Vickie,

    Welcome to the Big Apple. Your account is so characteristic of N.Y.C. The big question is: was the "II Volo" concert worth the price? I wrote in my post yesterday that last Wednesday "II Volo" was appearing at the Chicago Theater, which was the day before I left for Baltimore. If I had known they would be appearing in Chicago when I was in Cuenca, I would have bought tickets. Maybe later, you can email me, and let me know how much you paid for the tickets, since we are both "II Volo" fans. Enjoy Japan. Jim Mola

    ReplyDelete