Friday, October 7, 2011

A sushi bar for the non-lover of sushi...makes me smile

My best experiences with Asian food has been sketchy at best. The only times I have ever believed myself to have suffered from food poisoning has been directly related to Chinese buffets eaten at inopportune times. I learned a long time ago to make sure I go at 11:00 am or shortly thereafter when the offerings were fresh and not wilting under pressure of heat lamps. It didn't hurt to make sure it was a popular place with adequate food turnover either. Food sickness rates right up there with a trip to the proctologist in the pleasure department.

With that on mind, I thought it would be quite simple to continue my weight loss mission on a trip to Japan and China. That was before I met Sharon and Bernie aka Shinozaki and Katauo.

Today they took me to a sushi bar complete with food on tiny plates that were on a conveyor line. There was more on the menu but it was not "western friendly" as my lunch companions admitted.

There was Katsuo fish which was quite comical to Sharon as it is also her husband's name. She could never resist calling him a fish when she told me on several occasions what the dish was called. Then there was chawan mushi which I can only explain as some kind of mushroom with flan. I love mushrooms. Hate flan. Mushrooms definitely won that one. Then there was abi and salmon sushi. It was 4 for sushi and 0 for my diet mission. Kutsuo was the only one who ate the really pretty one which was raw egg and raw tuna. Um, just no.

The bill was tallied by how many plates and bowls were stacked You can see we had quite a collection. And then what did I hear but music, beautiful music, to my ears!!! Pumpkin cheesecake. Is this the promised land or what? I would have been eating sushi a long time ago if I had known that was my reward in the end.

I'm now at a point that I'm only hoping to maintain my weight loss. It's a certainty nothing else is coming off. Unless it's the top button of my jeans.

Tomorrow morning I will be leaving and joining my son in Nagoya. While I look forward to seeing Zachary for the first time in over a year it will be hard to say goodbye to Sharon and Bernie In a couple of days in their home I have laughed so much and we have shared details of our lives. Bernie just went to work and thanked me for accepting their house. He was quite happy that I thought his house was great and it was him and Sharon who made it so. I was honored to be their guest and am hopeful to maintain a friendship with them for years to come. I am grateful to airbnb for making it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment