Friday, October 28, 2011

Shopping...........makes me smile....a lot

Someone needs to shoot me before I spend my children's entire inheritance.

When I first started out on my trip I had one smallish suitcase (just a little too big for carry on), a small bag, a backpack and a purse. I have been known to take three bags on a week long cruise and I wanted to travel "light". When I got to Texas my sister-in-law presented me with some heirloom quilts that had been in tatters and she had completely redone...one made by my grandmother and one made by my children's father's grandmother. I needed a bigger suitcase which I switched out with my sister-in-law for another that matched the one I had. Both were purchased at a rummage sale and had duct tape in key areas so that I might still be able to call them suitcases and not, say, weird skateboards.

While in Alaska I bought 3 pair of jeans as the prices for same are quite expensive in Ecuador and my new slimmer body isn't quit slim enough for more local clothes so when I had a layover in Dallas on October 1st, I passed a few clothes and shoes off to Pam, my good friend in Texas so I could travel "lightly".

I was going to have to travel on to New York and through half of Japan before I could get back down to one smallish suitcase that I could manage with a backpack. I left one with my son that I hope he has a chance to burn.

When I got to Kyoto I was feeling the pain of too much weight on my back from the backpack so I wound up biting the bullet and purchasing a cool bright red suitcase with FOUR wheels and bigger to accommodate my new purchases of a kimono, new camera lens, and various souvenirs from Japan. Hopefully the bright red will keep me from accusing a stranger of stealing my bag now since the other two were suitcase black. The hostel in Kyoto was the proud new owner of a duct laden suitcase.

All went well until I was unable to get train tickets to Beijing for Friday night because apparently the Chinese like to get out of town for the weekend just like everyone else in the world. Xian has some amazing attractions but I had already seen them on my unexpected extra day. This left mainly shopping and walking around activities.

I believe there are few things in this world cuter than an adorable Asian face or two popping up in front of you with "May we help you?" followed with a few seconds of giggles. Especially when you saw them out of the corner of your eye whispering and looking your way. They're right up there with kittens they are so incredibly cute. You know what they are doing when you realize you have not seen a western face for a day and a half so you oblige and try on a few pair of shoes so they can have a chance to practice their English. Voila! A new pair of shoes to make room for.

After the fun little tea party I happened onto I got interested in tea. Score!! I now have not one tea set but two. Add that to the amazing bowl I found the first day here that is hand-painted. Oh yes, the beautiful scarves at the department store and the gorgeous chopsticks set someone reading this will eventually get and the cute Minnie Mouse backpack I found for my cousin's little girl.

I'm on my way back to the department store to buy another bag. Don't judge. I haven't been to Beijing yet.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post, and got a big kick out of it.
    By all means (as we've discussed before) bring that kimono because no Ecuadorian wardrobe is complete without one.

    ReplyDelete