Monday, September 26, 2011

Up, up and away................makes me smile

Guess what I did yesterday??   Times up.   I got to fly in a single engine airplane over the second largest glacier in Alaska.   Wowser!!   First we gathered at the airport by the little airplane.   Only 5 of us and we nearly hid it.   If I still weighed what I did a year ago it would be gone.



After all coattails, fingers, legs and camera straps were tucked in the tiny compartment, we took off.  What I didn't expect was the eery resemblance our pilot, Cy, had to Randy Quaid.   Thank goodness he was a lot smarter than the characters Mr. Quaid has played.





Somewhere down there was the place I found that served the Alaska sized strawberry daiquiri.  Note to self.   Must find that place once again.  




Alaska is incredible from the air with the exception of waterfalls.   They are best on the ground.



Control panel.   Note the empty guage holes.   I asked Randy, uh, Cy where the altitude guage was.   I hate it when you find out about missing guages 3500 feet up.   Altitude was there.   Nothing important.
Nothing to see here.


There were pools of water that were unbelievably blue.   My understanding is because it is hydrogen rich water at that altitude.   It is still legally H2O and is very good to drink.  Hmmmm.   Tempting.   Wonder if I can afford plastic surgery at 124.   Nevermind.   I don't think I can overcome damage to the veins from the years of eating fast food.




There are Dall Sheep in those hills!    I missed them the first time because as we flew over the mountain top I flashed back to the end of the movie about Patsy Cline and I was closing my eyes momentarily.  I couldn't believe those little nimble creatures living up on the top of the mountains.  You will see them if you look very carefully.


We could see an oil tanker.    Coming into Valdez.   Please be careful.   I heard that in some of the outlying marshes and islands, you can still see some black ooze from 23 years ago.


And there's the runway.   My little overhead Alaska adventure was over.   I'll never forget it.   Thank you Cy, Devin and Robbin for making it possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment