Monday, September 19, 2011

Slip sliding away...........makes me smile

I'm in Alaska!!  I grew up in Texas and with the meme of "Everything is bigger in Texas".   Well, that is just not true.   I've never seen a glacier as big as this in Texas.


Right before I left Quito, I found some hiking boots and I'm glad I did.   I was able to appear cool since I didn't need the sissy looking ski poles some of the tourists needed.



At the point of where the lake met the ice in the center seems to be a bit of a cave.   The water is frozen even though the day temperatures are at least 45 degrees F.   At night it makes up for all that warmth.  I nearly froze my arse off last night.   Unfortunately, it is still there today.


That's pure glacier Robbin is standing on.   I was foolish enough to think we had hiked to the middle.   Not so.   That glacier wound around the mountains for as far as we could see when we were back on the highway.   We were just on the "toe".

I will be going to Fairbanks to spend Tuesday and Wednesday night.   I'm really looking forward to that but I can't wait to write a post about the Alaska dive bar I'm going to be going to this weekend.   At the roadside cafe, I got a look at the portions of food served and the size of the truckers in this state.   Not everything is bigger in Texas....

1 comment:

  1. Now why cant I find a great smiley face to put in here.. Glad you are having a good time, and keeping a sharp eye out for fun!

    ReplyDelete