Friday, January 6, 2012

Fixing it Ecuador style..............makes me smile

They have a little different attitude to repair jobs.  Basically it is called "it'll do".   I can't say I've never done this before in my own life my own children and relatives can attest.   However, I'm not here to speak of my own shortcomings because that's just not funny.   Well, maybe to other people.  /smile/

Most appliances in Ecuador are run by the LP gas tanks.   They have a fitting on top with a gasket which seals and controls the outlet of gas in the air.   On occasion, those gaskets get loose and need to be replaced.   Before that happens, they get "fixed".

Rock on top.  FIXED!!
If it does not interfere with activity, it may not ever get fixed.

Ummmmm.....
It's hard to see but there are shards of glass up there on top of the wall.   Fired the security staff?   Never had one?

Security staff quit or got fired?  FIXED!!
I came from a part of the country where windstorms can get violent through the plains of Texas.   If a hurricane traversed its way from the coast and tore off your roof, you put a plastic tarp over it until the insurance inspected and it got fixed properly.   Not in Ecuador.

Between the weight and the rock, that roof is not going anywhere.  FIXED!!
Another security issue is breaking the lock on the door.   Or maybe there never was a lock on the door.  It is as simple as getting a padlock.   No bothering with expensive locksmiths.

No one is getting in this door.   Padlock.   FIXED!!
I do love living here.   It's 6:30 in the morning and I'm looking out my window at a white cloud snaking its way through the Andes Mountains.  It's the morning after an all night downpour.  Actually the day after an all day downpour.  Even if I were blind and deaf I would know that just from the smell.  Simplicity is not overrated.

9 comments:

  1. Me three---southern engineering with a healthy dose of mannana. Often just "good enuff"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie, are you in a different place? Did you move away from the wild bathroom? Photos please. Love this blog, yes, we have two granite cutting boards that we place on our LP cans..only because we dont have a rock! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garsh. **stammers** You like me!! You really really like me!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie,
    Hilarious, especially the roof job! See alot of the same thing around here too.
    Really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.
    White Rodgers HFT2900FP Flow Thru Humidifier (2880 Sq. Ft.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you George!!! Can you help me get a book deal?? (I'm just kidding...as usual)

    ReplyDelete