Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas in Ecuador .................... makes me smile

This is my first Christmas in Ecuador.   I made a poor decision to go to Loja, town of 150,000 people just north of Vilcabamba by 40 kilometers, on Friday before the holiday on Sunday.   It is just as bad as in the states.  People, people, people were everywhere.   And I swear before I try and hail another taxi in Loja, I will wear a turtleneck, dark sunglasses and 5 inch heels.   It's worth it just to get a ride.  Oh, to be 25 years old again.  

I didn't quite get the reindeer on the left but check out the moose on the right!

It turns out Christmas shopping isn't much different than in the states.   Many toys to be had, many people to walk around.

There were a lot of vendors like this using baby carriages to sell gift wrap and bags
There was just as much "rushing home with their treasures" as I remember in the states.   I didn't notice anyone fighting anyone over any electronics, though.   Maybe because there is not a Wal-Mart here?

Nativity scene in a store window.
There were nativity scenes, snow men and Christmas trees.   It is a bit of a disconnect to hear "Let it Snow" and to see snowmen in a place on earth where a lot of people have never seen snow in their life.   There is snow in Ecuador but it is on the highest peaks of the country and a lot of them are actively volcanic.

Snowmen depicted in a store window display.
There were pre-Christmas sales.   I was able to get a sweet deal on a washing machine since I am moving where I have no access.   Yes, I'm a spoiled American.   I can't stand the thought of sending out my dirty underwear and I don't want to wash jeans by hand. 

I can never convey the sense of a crowd.   I guess I need a fish-eye lens.
There were Santa costumes in a lot of clothing stores.   I am certain that Santa won't look this clean by the time he gets all the way from the North Pole (which I had the opportunity to visit in September) to the Southern Hemisphere.   I wouldn't want to be Mrs. Santa with that laundry.

Shop girls were dressed in Santa costumes.
 There were few of the "name brand" toys I was accustomed to seeing in the United States.   Anything and everything imported to Ecuador is subject to a 40% customs.   This may be why we have "Nicoles" instead of "Barbies" here.   She is just as pretty and has the same ridiculously impossible figure to attain as Barbie.

I didn't find a Barbie but there were some "knock-offs" called Nicole.
This was a really cute tree using cartoon fairies and, of course, corporately sponsored.

This was a "fairy" tree perhaps combining "When you wish upon a star"
with Christmas.
 Even though I am not a religious person, I still believe in angels:

A real life angel dressed in a Santa suit.

Feliz Navidad y un próspero Año Nuevo.






1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm in a contrarian mood this Christmas, Vickie, 1) Ms. Spoiled Gringo, are there not rivers and rocks wherever you are moving where you can do your laundry? (I thought you were here for the real Ecuadorian experience.) 2) I've seen many Ecuadorian "hotties" with Barbie figures. They wear spike heels, are twenty-five, and get taxi rides in Loja and Cuenca too. Merry Christmas and a Happy Il Volo to you as well! Jim Mola

    ReplyDelete