Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Successfully becoming an ex-pat...................makes me smile

Being in a new country, especially one with a different language and slower culture, requires a lot of patience.  It helps to not take yourself too seriously in most instances and to remember that you are a guest in someone else's country.  Local customs may seem in the very least old-fashioned or stodgy and at the most, possibly cruel and completely unnecessary.  It is most important to remember not to judge people on what we don't understand.   All countries are at different stages in their history and they don't always line up with your own place of origin.  It is my own opinion that it is best to be kinder than we need to be.  

Working her craft in Otavalo.

I don't have a lot of experience at being an ex-pat so this might be a bit premature.   I may be writing another one in a year or two.  First I want to point out that expat does not mean ex-patriot.   It means expatriate and the definition is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country or culture other than that of the person's upbringing.  It comes from the Greek "Exo" (outside) and Patrida (Fatherland, Country)  With this in mind, it does not mean someone dislikes their country of origin.   But don't be surprised if some do.   There are two kinds of ex-pats.   One kind is running away.   The other is running towards.   The latter tends to be much more fun.

He was very proud of his beautiful horse.

Altogether now and repeat this statement.   Do not let the words "THEY DON'T DO IT THAT WAY BACK HOME" spill out of your lips.  Bite your lip, your cheek, your tongue or put a raw chicken bone in your mouth to avoid it.   You aren't back home.   You aren't in Kansas anymore.   Or, in my case, you aren't in Texas anymore.   No one cares.   Don't do it.

Incan ruins in Cuenca

One thing I never thought of until recently was to check if your life insurance policy will pay if something happens in your adopted country or any country in which you may travel.   Many policies may provide limited or no coverage at all outside of your country of origin.   You may be in a deathmobile  in Ecuador, a ski lift in Switzerland, or trip off a pier in Aruba.   It is important to know.

There is an abundance of bakeries around here.

Many expats, upon moving to a new country will immediately seek out expatriate forums and try to find the nearest expat "hangout".   It is perfectly understandable to attempt to reach like minded individuals.  The problem is if you limit your social network to the expat community, you will also limit the quality of your experience of living overseas.   It can be intimidating in a country in which your know very little of the language but there is a solution.   Learn the language.   Don't try to replicate your life in your home country.  Try new foods.   Expatriating can be a very rich experience if you have an open mind.

Do you think they meant "Leggo"?

In a decision to move overseas, do your research from the type of weather to expect, the (reasonable) cost of living, whether you can buy or rent a home and public transportation.   Do not go by what a magazine says.   It is usually best to do independent study in several different sources.  Be especially honest with yourself about how you want to live in your new country.   But most of all, have a back up contingency plan if it doesn't work.  

 Visitors!!


If you have to have a certain brand of cosmetics or toothpaste, a certain size and style of jeans, it is better to think twice.  If you think all sidewalks or streets should be hole free and that you are not responsible for yourself if you fall in a hole or trip on the sidewalk, this is definitely not the place you need to be.   If you need a lot of outside stimuli and constant entertainment, it may be best to stay where you are most comfortable.   Some processed foods are available but you will have to pay for them since most of them are imported.  

Yummy street food!!

Central and South America are areas that are considered developing countries and with good reason.   It is not the United States or any other place in the developed world.   If you believe you can adopt a live and let live attitude and enjoy the local culture, including language, it could be the best adventure of your life.

 Biggest rooster I ever did see!!!

8 comments:

  1. Perfect blog.. I am passing it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. I got a few ideas from one of Nan's past blogs but I had most of the ideas. I enjoyed doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vickie, congrats on your wonderful blog. I will be in Cuenca for 6 weeks beginning in October. Checking out a place to live. I'm from Fort Worth so really hope to meet you when I am there. Best regards, LT

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you find it? Thank you so much!! I will be out of the country until the 1st of November so maybe we can touch base when I get back. I am leaving on the 16th of September to go to Alaska to visit my daughter and the 4th of October after a weekend in NYC to go to Japan and China to visit my son. After a week in Fort Worth myself I will be back. Always awesome to have another Texan in the fold. Cuenca is great but don't discount all the smaller towns as well. I am living in Vilcabamba and may move to the coast after I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to "South of Zero", I was introduced to your blog today. I am enjoying it immensely. Just when I was about to invite you to dinner whenever I may make it to Vilcabamba, you are planning to move. I see that from you profile that you are a big fan of "IL VOLO". Aren't they fabulous! You are my first soul mate where "IL VOLO" is concerned. Glad we have something in common. Safe and exciting travels to you as you visit your geographically scattered family. Jim Mola

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through South of Zero. I check SoZ every morning. I am leaning towards Cuenca because, having grown up on a ranch, I find rural living too isolating. I need lots of people around. And I became accustomed to the climate of Cuenca area by owning a vacation home in Carmel, California for 10 years. I have a son who lives there now and so post its daily temperatures along with Cuenca's. They track very closely. Why are you leaving Vilcabamba?

    ReplyDelete
  7. had no idea my blog was posted on South of Zero. I didn't put it there so someone else much have. I suspect Lizette who writes The Yes Factor. We have become friends and are mutual admirers of each other's blogs. I was even the inspiration of the one for Star's diet. She read on my facebook about my comical trials and tribulations of feeding my dogs bones for the first time so she tried it with Star. But, of course, Star writes the blog!!

    Vilcabamba is beautiful and I love it here. But there are a lot of gringoes living in the town and many more are moving here. It can be a crutch for learning spanish. It would not be leaving Vilcabamba but seeking an opportunity to enrich my experience. And I love the ocean. I know it is earthquake prone but it can't be as dangerous as serving lawsuit papers in South Dallas which was part of my service in my business in Texas. I may even want to live in some villages I saw south of Cuenca on my trips. Some of them are quite picturesque, small and only a bus ride for anything I might want in a larger city.

    I have not lived in a city since 1978. I haven't ever lived in a remote area like a ranch. For the most part, I have lived in what I refer to rural suburbia. Are you familiar with the town of Roanoke in southern Denton County? That is where I lived for the last 12 years in the states. Before that I lived 6 years in Lake Worth which may qualify as city living but it is so close to rural areas I never thought of it as city living. Five miles out Boat Club Road and there is a lot of country. In short, I like having my cake and eating it as well. I like access to cities because I also like to have people around. But for living I need my peace of mind and places I can walk my dogs and daydream.

    I am posting another episode of my life here tonight. I hope you will read it!! I'm trying to decide now between three subjects!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be a very brave woman. Haha. I practiced law for 15 years but have been retired longer than that. I love Star's blog. She does well with the perspective. Talk to you later. LT

    ReplyDelete