Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Settling into Paute.........makes me smile

I've been in Paute not quite a month. EVERYTHING makes me smile. I admit to a bit of nervousness when my friend Jani left with the knowledge that I may be one of the few English non espanol speakers in this town of around 25,000. I thought I would be on a bus to Cuenca 4 or 5 times a week seeking out people I knew for conversation. That hasn't happened. I have been to Cuenca twice. I am amazed at how this town has embraced me. Two tiny adorable dogs have not been a liability either.

I am including a lot of pictures with this post. How can I not? There has been so much to discover. People say hi to me, calling me by name, and I don't even remember meeting them. I'm not THAT old!! Unless, of course, you ask one of my kids or my brother or sister-in- law. My sister might be a little kinder.

The word seems to have spread about Bear's love of ball retrieval. Perro futbol!! We played in the park central one time and people come up behind me and I recognize "perro" (dog) and "pelota" (ball) There are plenty of street dogs but none that are really trained. My new friend Gabriel has a street dog he feeds and gives fresh water and none of them seem to be particularly thin or mistreated. I was a little nervous about a pit bull the other day until 8 pound Amber barked at him and he ran away!

I've found the courthouse. I've seen a fist fight in the town center. I saw a paintball building in the riverside park with some very new looking jungle gym constructions for the kids an American built. I've found the public hospital with the graveyard directly across the street which is the most efficient thing I have seen in the land of maƱana. And it seems the grave sites here are more "rented" than owned. I was told if the family does not pay after five years you will be evicted and someone else gets the space. Yes, that's right. Dug up and thrown away! More unexpected efficiency!

I have found an apartment in which I will be moving close to Jani's return. I think this is home!!
Kitchen in the new apartment.
You could be evicted from here.
My friend Gabriel and his youngest daughter, Chi Chi.
Owners of the laundry.
Yes, we have no bananas!
I met Joseph, my new landlord, in the park last week.

Found at the market.   One set does not belong.  Chickens, Guinea Pigs (cuy) and puppies.   I HOPE they dont eat puppies here.
Some of the bounty at the local market.

7 comments:

  1. Bear makes me smile! And another blog from Vickie reallllly makes me smile....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. Love the photo of the local market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the iPod touch almost exclusively. The canon takes much better pictures but I can upload better with the iPod

      Delete
  3. Your place looks great. Those 3 flights of stairs.. not so much. You are going to have some awesome thighs and glutes girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your photos and the fact that you have two small furbabies. I'd love to visit with you about your adventures getting them to Ecuador. We have two small fluffers and will be coming in the next few months as soon as the house sells. Yipee!
    Twila Pickrell
    Lubbock, TX

    ReplyDelete