Friday, March 9, 2012

Memories of Vilcabamba...............make me smile

I have been living in Vilcabamba for 13 months.   If someone asked me to describe it in one word, I would have to choose the word eclectic because there really isn't just one word.

I have been up and down the Sierras in my time in Ecuador as well as along the coast between Salinas and Bahia and Vilcabamba is still one of the most stunningly beautiful spots in the country.

Even my dogs seemed to be in awe.

Vilcabamba has a past reputation for long lived citizens.   I am loathe to disillusion but as Vilcabamba's international fame grew scientists began to investigate in earnest the claims of the locals and some became skeptical.   In 1971, Dr. Alexander Leaf, a Harvard medical School researcher met a man who reported to be 122 years of age.   When he returned three years later, the same man claimed to be 134 years.   The older the citizens became, the bigger the exaggeration.  After their study had been made, it was found the oldest person in the village was 96 and the average age of those claiming to be over 100 was actually only 86 years of age.   Can you imagine an American woman exaggerating her age?  Oh, yes.   They already do in the opposite direction.


I have no clue how old he is. You'll find him most days in
the town center on his daily walks.  A lot of times, he 
can be found posing for pictures with tourists.

Every time I come into El Centro, there are new people.   Vilcabamba is a magnet for expats and the expats come from all over the world.   The main thing they have in common is their idea about how to dress in this town.   They come here looking like any tourist.

This is Alexandria dressing normally.

After they have been here a while, the expats start transitioning.   There is a stage in between the arrival stage and full on Vilcabamba style.


This is a transitional phase of dress.
After they have been here a while, there is full on Vilcabamba dress.

The transition is complete.

So you may wonder how an average Ecuadorian dresses.  I actually played a little trick.   Alexandria in the blue t-shirt is actually an Ecuadorian.   In reality, unless they are indigenous, Ecuadorians in Vilcabamba dress a little like westerners with jeans and t-shirts.   Minus the fanny packs.

Among reputations, Vilcabamba also is known as a haven for paranoia and conspiracy theories.   I have heard everything from chemtrails to tenth planets with wayward moons that will strike earth and spin its axis into polar shifts.  I also have heard that "they" are conspiring to keep "them" from giving us something/anything to deprive/hurt/kill.   "They" are groups to whom power may be given (including aliens) and "them" is any group being championed by whomever is promoting the theory.  Those items that are being deprived may be free clean energy, miracle cures or whatever other utopian benefits the theorists believe in but don't actually know much about.  "Look it up on the internet.  It's all there!" is a common refrain.   Fortunately, not everyone takes this too seriously.



Tin foil hat thinking.

I am leaving Vilcabamba in a few days to house sit for a good friend.  It has been a great run in a very unique part of the world.  Will I return?   I'm not sure at this point.   It certainly will be easier to learn spanish with a bit more immersion as there are westerners living in Vilcabamba for more than three years who still don't have much of a grasp of the spanish language.   However, the international flavor of the town, along with the stark beauty of the mountainsides,  is irresistible.   I can think of at least 20 nationalities that I have met in Vilcabamba since coming here last year.  Where else can I get really good Swedish food in Ecuador than Decapo's?  Or be invited to a burning man party?   Or hear the latest entertaining conspiracy theory?





4 comments:

  1. Thanks Vickie for giving me a great laugh today. Loved the pics of the attire transition, and the foil hat.
    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Leigh! This was an important one to me. I wanted so much to do a good job. Adrian is publishing it on Monday on his beautiful blog. I feel so honored. He is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything makes you smile...you're like an idiot?
    Or you are just into explosives with the Queen?
    EQUAQUAT?
    EQUAAQUA?
    SQUESSO- SQUET?
    NYE is NYSSE in SESSECTE?
    RICK the PRICK is ORGICO RICK'S SETAIN?
    ARIZONA is ACE with JEB BUSH and mobsters.
    ZETAS 99 have books and SCULLS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, there are a lot of things that dont make me smile but that is not the subject of my blog. You may inspire me to write of things I dont like. I will let you know. In the meantime, life is beautiful for me. How is yours?

    ReplyDelete